Sunday, June 28, 2009

The First Mile Always Sucks

After signing on with Team in Training I spent the next several weeks running with a friend, the former ever-so-slight crush, in a feeble attempt to not look like a complete fat ass when I got out there for the first official training run. This time around I sacrificed pride and worked in regular walking intervals. By the date of the pace run I was up to 2.5 miles of consecutive running and around 5 total miles per time out, and we were running about 3 times per week on average. I honestly believe that my friend could maintain a brisk walk and keep up with my running pace.


Pace Run - June 13, 2009

My first major accomplishment on this early Saturday morning was successfully locating the high school in Alexandria where my first official Team in Training run was to take place. We spent an hour or so listening to experts talk to us about the right shoes, running injuries, stretching, gear, hydration, and so on. Then we were introduced to the coaches and the mentors, one of which told us that "the first mile always sucks." I hate to correct anyone, but excuse me, every f-ing mile sucks. Are you kidding me? Just the first mile? No.


Next we were herded off to the track to begin our pace run. Yes, the track. Anyone who has ever run more than a mile knows just how much this sucks. Our pace run was set for 3 miles or 30 minutes. I think someone was assuming a 10 minute mile. Ha. Haha. Right. Anyway, running around a track for 3 miles means running in the same endless circle for 12 laps. It means passing the finish line 11 times before you get to actually stop. It is 24 curves, 24 straight-aways. And, in my case, it means the same show-offs passing you 3 times. It is painful monotony, even if you are running on some state of the art rubbery surface. My time was 38 minutes and 51 seconds. For the mathematically challenged, this is not a ten minute mile. Not even close.


What I learned: 1. I am not a very good runner. 2. On one of my laps the coach told me to rest my thumbs slightly on my index fingers pointing the direction I am running. Amazing. It makes for a more efficient motion, forces the upper body to help too. I periodically check for this every time I run now.


Week One Training Run - June 20, 2009


In the week between the pace run and the first official training session group run the coaches sent out an email suggesting that we eliminate one unhealthy habit and replace it with a healthy one. For me, the habits were obvious....I needed to give up the (at least) 6 cans of coke I was drinking every day and start drinking some water instead. I did not give up coke entirely, I told you, I am not really crazy. I am however down to about 1 per day and have significantly increased the amount of water I am drinking.


So, again, early on a Saturday morning I managed to find the location - in Reston this time. We were scheduled to run 4 miles on the W&OD, 2 out and 2 back. Just as we finished our group stretching and warm-up lap around the parking lot it started to rain. I admit to feeling at least a little pleased that I was going to get to go back home and crawl back into my nice warm bed. Then I heard someone say, "If it ain't raining, it ain't training." Great. Apparently you run in the rain.


Lacking my usual running partner, I lazily completed the 4 miles in about 46 minutes. I say completed because instead of doing that whole heel-to-toe thing I was clomping. I think I was trying to avoid slipping on the slick pavement, and you can't hear your footsteps when it is raining, but I paid dearly for this error in form. Your kneecaps do not like clomping. It causes that lower leg bone, whatever it is called, to slam into the kneecap with every step, over and over again. I walked like I had osteoporosis for the next 2 days.

What I Learned: 1. You do run in the rain. 2. Heel-to-toe, all the time. 3. Hip-to-Nip. The same coach that gave me the thumb advice told us about arm swing...hip-to-nip...I'll let you figure it out. Also an extremely helpful tip.

Week Three Training Session - June 27, 2009

This time the training run was in D.C., down by the waterfront into Georgetown a little bit and back, 5 miles. I carpooled with my mentor because I am severely directionally challenged and was afraid that compounded with the early hour I would be late and miss the run. Instead of it just being all of the Northern Virginia TNT runners it was the entire metro area (so add DC and Maryland). There were literally hundreds of runners. I joined the 11.5 minute mile group which included my mentor and stayed in pace with her the whole way. For the first time I ran the entire distance, no walking, and 5 miles was my farthest run yet! And, I got my time down, 57 minutes.

What I Learned: Not only does the first mile suck, the first five miles suck.



No comments:

Post a Comment