Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sleepless in Pennsylvania

My schedule for this week is as follows:

Sunday - 40-minute recovery run
Monday - 40-minute run
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - 40-minute run
Thursday - Core-strength class at gym
Friday- off
Saturday- 8-mile group run


After my six mile run on Saturday, I had a 40-minute recovery run scheduled for Sunday. Since this was also on my own I decided to run 3 laps around the lake (3.75 miles), which took more like 50-minutes. My IPod battery died at the end of the first lap, so I ran the next 2.5 miles carrying an IPod that I couldn't even listen to.

Monday I drove up to Pennsylvania with the kids to visit my grandparents, and after 5 hours in the car (which, by the way is less time than it will take me to complete the marathon) I really didn't feel like going to run when we got here. They live deep in the open country of the northeastern corner of the state - marked by a beautiful landscape, kind people, and economic hardship. Despite the fact that I was still tired from the drive, I knew I needed to run, and they suggested a 4-mile loop around their house. I changed clothes, let them give me landmark-based directions, and set off.

What they did not tell me was that it is uphill the whole way. I am certainly not an engineer, mathematician, or generally bright with these sorts of things, but I did not realize that it was even possible for an f-ing circle to be uphill the entire way around. It was. OK, maybe there were two very brief declines, but seriously...this was not a day that was scheduled for hills. It took me over an hour. Oh, and I had not drank any water all day.

Monday night I was plagued with insomnia, something that has only happened to me once before, but is infinitely painful and frustrating, so Tuesday was determined (by me) to be an off day. I hope to sleep tonight as I am planning a 5 mile run around a huge lake tomorrow!

Mostly though I am just looking forward to getting back into my regular routine with my running partner - it makes everything less painful, more entertaining, I am more motivated, the time goes by more quickly and the running feels more effortless. Running alone sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment